The Montessori Philosophy
“If teaching is to be effective with young children, it must assist them to advance on the way to independence.” Dr. Maria Montessori
Montessori is a student centered approach based on:
- self-directed activity,
- hands on learning and
- collaborative play.
At Allegro Montessori we encourage creativity and curiosity, leading children to ask questions, explore, investigate and think for themselves.
An Environment for Learning
- The Montessori environment (classroom) is prepared in advance.
- It consists of student centered lessons and/or activities.
- All of our lessons are hands on and interactive as students explore and discover information for themselves. With each student taking as much or as little time as they need to complete/master a lesson.
- All of this happens under the watchful eye of the director (teacher) and aide in the room.
- Directors in our environments are not instructors but rather guides and consultants to the students on a one to one basis.
- Each environment contains students spanning three different age groups (i.e. Casa/pre-school is ages 2.5 to 6 years) working and playing together. This gives our youngest students someone to look up to and our older students someone to model responsible behaviour for.